Recently I had the opportunity to read Ines de la Fressanges book ‘Parisian Chic, A Style Guide’ again. It started me thinking about the French wardrobe philosophy.
The principle is similar to a creating a capsule wardrobe which uses the theory ‘less is more’. Both a capsule wardrobe and a French wardrobe are built on a core of great basics but that’s where the similarities end. The French wardrobe concept limits you to buying only 5 accent or trend pieces a season. This does include accessories but it doesn't include shoes!
So what are the benefits to building a French wardrobe?
1. A carefully curated wardrobe is a luxury that takes time and skill.
2. Your wardrobe will expand slowly in a sensible, sustainable way.
3. It will create a wardrobe with lasting appeal.
4. You will think more about your style personality.
5. You will shop with purpose and become more selective with purchases.